Friday, 11 November 2016

Life in Death, Death in Life

I spent Monday at a funeral for an older woman. She was 90+ when she passed away. After the funeral, I was speaking with some of her friends (also in the 90+ age range) and one of these ladies asked me "Are you afraid of dying?" I replied honestly that I wasn't because I believed in God and I believed in heaven (I wasn't sure how she would handle my die hard version response to this question on this particular day considering I was at her friend's funeral). 
She then said that I must be a good person to which I replied... ahhhh, no. 
Definitely not.
Pondering out loud that she wasn't sure why she was still alive, yet a lot of her friends, her friends, her good friends had died over the years. I realised that "God isn't finished with you yet" and told her so. We spoke some more and she asked me more questions to which I didn't have the answers she was after. I encouraged her to read the bible and let God tell her His story or His opinion on life and death, I asked her to let Him speak to her about grace and forgiveness and tell her that it isn't about being good enough.
I couldn't give this woman an answer that she needed, she had spent some of her life in church and never felt 'good enough', so she needed to hear/read the source of where her questions would be answered (not a church). She needed to read the bible.

The answers are in the bible.


When I have struggled to understand the 'why' in my life, the only answers I can realistically find are in the bible. So if you have questions, earnestly ask God those questions and read the bible. If you don't know where to start, ask someone to help you, or open up to a page and start reading. If it doesn't feel right, then flip a few pages and try again. I think it is important to be honest with God in these times when we are looking to understand. Just honestly speak to God, in your head, in your heart, out loud, anyway you need to ask. Be real and ask him to answer the questions you need answered.

Sometimes we ask why we are in a particular situation and I have learned that the answer is often that "God isn't finished yet". This lady is experiencing this right now, at 90 years old. "Why am I here?" she asks me. Paul experienced the same, when he was in chains (in jail) for working for Christ. In chains for being a Christian. In those times of immense hardship, Paul knew he was in chains because Christ wasn't finished working through him whilst he was in those chains.

My questions to you are how old will you be when you ask someone if they are scared of dying? And if you get asked, what will you say?